I used orange peppers because they're sweeter than green, have more flavor (in my opinion)...and they were on sale. That last part never hurts. I only got 4, and once I had mixed all my meatloaf ingredients I realized I'd need more, so instead of keeping them whole with just the top cut off, I split them and laid each half on its side ready to be stuffed.
Here's what I use to make meatloaf, and now stuffed peppers:
- 1 l.b ground beef or turkey
- 1 can of whole kernel corn, or 2 cobs worth of corn
- 1 can of peas
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes, or 2 small diced tomatoes
- italian spice blend (oregano, parsley, basil) - I just eyeball it, but it's probably about a tbsp.
- 1 egg - works as glue
- 1 small Vidalia onion
- W sauce - a few trips around the bowl is the only way I can describe how much I put in
- 2 cups of wild rice (I don't usually add this, but we picked up a package of Uncle Ben's to use as a side dish, and I just decided to throw it into the mixture, uncooked)
Ready to bake for an hour!
When there were 10 minutes left on the timer, I sprinkled some cheese on top, along with some pepper. Here's the finished product with some cheesy broccoli - can't wait to dig in!