Here's the recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Sift together with a wire whisk.
Look, Bonnie! I used the right kind of measuring cup! :)
- In another bowl, stir buttermilk, egg, maple syrup and melted butter until just combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Reserve a few chips to sprinkle on the tops.
- I used my cookie scoop to put the dough in the mini-cupcake pan so the muffins would all be the same size
- Bake for 8-9 minutes - (I cooked mine for about 13 minutes - after 9 minutes I stuck a cake tester in and got dough, so back in the oven they went!)
I let them cool for a few minutes in the pan and then, with the help of a toothpick along the edges, took them out to cool for another few minutes on a wire rack. Then I poured some maple syrup in a bowl for dipping the muffins.
Time to paint the nails again...
The verdict: without dipping them into the syrup, they taste like warm chocolate chip cookies, moist on the inside and a little crunch on the outside. If you dip them, you get the pancake taste. Maybe substitute blueberries or bananas to get more of a pancake feel instead of dessert.
They taste awesome...