Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Harvest Bread

My pumpkin apple harvest bread is baking and is smells so good!

Here are the ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree 
  • 4 large eggs (I substituted 1/4 cup applesauce for each egg since we're out) 
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup apple juice or water (I used water)
  • 1 large baking apple, peeled,cored and diced   

Preparation instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in large bowl
  • Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil and apple juice in large mixer bowl; beat until just blended
  • Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened
  • Fold in apples
  • Spoon batter into 2 greased 8x4 loaf pans 

You can use 9x5 or 5x3 pans too, but the baking times vary.  For the 8x4 loaf pan, I'm baking the bread for 65 minutes - we'll see if it's done then.


While it's baking, I thought I'd share 2 recipes I found today that will help me use up my apples before they expire.  First, have you ever had Pampered Chef's taffy apple pizza?  This pumpkin apple dessert pizza recipe sounds just like that, only with pumpkin instead of peanut butter.

Taffle apple pizza:
 









Pumpkin apple dessert pizza:
 









They could be twins, no?  I'll be trying that tomorrow night.


The other is an apple crisp recipe that doesn't contain oats.  I don't like how soggy or rubbery oats get on a crisp.  Perhaps they've been soggy or rubbery because I made it wrong, but I like a brown sugar/butter/flour mixture better - it's crunchy and sweet and marvelous.  Not sure when I'll make this one - I guess it depends on how long the pumpkin bread and pumpkin apple dessert pizza last in the house.  

Ding!  Bread is done - brb.


Looks great - hoping it tastes great too! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment