Monday, March 21, 2011

How have I never blogged about monkey bread?

I made monkey bread this morning to take to work as a treat for my hard-working IT team.  I never bothered looking for a recipe last night because I assumed I'd blogged about it before and I could just find it in my archives.  But when I did my search this morning, I found no such blog about monkey bread.  How is that possible?  Monkey bread is a Christmas weekend radition here...weird.   guess I was busy celebrating Christmas, which leads to lazy blogging. :) 

So, this is my chance.

Since I hadn't written down how I made it last time, I relied on my sometimes-unreliable memory for the sauce.  Luckily I got it right - though there was a minute or two when I thought I'd added too much brown sugar...false alarm.

Here's how I make it:
  • Pour about a cup of sugar and 3 or 4 tablespoons of cinnamon in a Ziploc bag (gallon) and shake it to mix them together
  • I get the value pack of refrigerated Pillsbury biscuits - it has 40 mini biscuits that I cut in quarters.  The regular biscuits work fine too, but you'll need to make 6 or 8 pieces out of each to make the dough small enough for bite-sized pieces.
  • Once all the biscuits are cut up I drop them in the Ziploc bag, 8 or 10 at a time, and shake the bag to coat them in the cinnasugar mix.  Once they're evenly coated, drop them into a greased bundt or tube pan, spreading them evenly along the bottom.  Repeat this process until all your biscuit pieces are in the pan.  Put that aside for now.
  • In a saucepan, mix 1 packed cup of brown sugar and 1 stick of butter (I think that's 1/2 cup...and I use unsalted).  Stir to combine them as they're heating up and then let the mixture boil for just a minute.  The sauce will be thick, almost like a glaze, and you should still be able to see the texture of the brown sugar a little bit.  Once the sauce is combined and you're satisfied that it's pourable, pour it evenly over the biscuit pieces in the pan.  
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, let the bread cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, and then invert it onto a plate or platter.  Some of the sauce will run down the sides...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so good! Saw this today and thought of your blog post.

    http://2plusjilly.blogspot.com/2011/03/mini-monkey-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! Thanks Lora! :)

    ReplyDelete