Sunday, January 2, 2011

Easy as balls

Wow, what an inappropriate title.  But it fits.  

Also, a disclaimer:  I know I'm not the first person to make a cheese ball, but it's the first time for me, so I want to document the recipe and results :)

When we went to Linda's to celebrate Nate's birthday, she had this awesome cheese ball out for us to munch on until dinner was ready.  It was so good, and when I asked her what was in it, I was surprised to learn you only need 3 ingredients:  cream cheese (2-8oz containers), crushed pineapple (1-8oz can), green pepper (1 small).  That's it.

I chopped up a small green pepper and drained it, along with a 8 oz. can of crushed pineapple.  I probably let them drain for an hour or so, and then forced some more liquid out by putting a little bowl on top of the strainer.  Linda said if you don't get all the liquid out the cheese ball will be runny, and nobody likes a runny cheese ball.  So I was being extra cautious.

Once I was satisfied with the liquid drainage and the cream cheese was softened, I mixed everything together and tried to shape into a ball shape as much as I could with it being soft - this was probably unnecessary, but I was trying to save some work when it was a little hard to work with later.  Then I put it into the fridge to chill for a couple of hours.  

Meanwhile, I grated some walnuts to cover the outside of the ball and poured them into one of my coating trays so they were all ready for the ball.  I also washed and dried my awesome Virginia plate for serving.

When I took the cheese mixture out of the fridge, I was glad it had kept its ball shape, and that it was much easier to work with.  I dropped it onto the tray of walnuts and coated it - here's what you get:

We took it with us to the NYE party and served it with some Hint of Salt Triscuits.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Next time, have paper coffee filters and line those in the bottom of the colander and it will help drain the juice/water. :)

    Such an easy appetizer!! :)

    ReplyDelete