Sunday, January 2, 2011

Bathtub Brunch at the Strawberry Street Cafe

That sounds like a movie or song name.  It could happen.

I've heard great things about the Strawberry Street Cafe since I moved here, but had never been.  Even after I started going to Blue Elephant (2 doors down from the cafe) occasionally I never stepped in for a bite, so when Mo and Carrie suggested a New Year's Day brunch, I pulled the trigger and suggested the cafe for their 'Bathtub Brunch.'

It was really good, after i got over the fact that I was picking food out of an old porcelain bathtub.  It's like green ketchup - I'm sure it tastes the same, but it's just weird!  Mo made (gently nudged) me to try the sausage gravy on a biscuit after I told her I'd never had biscuits in gravy.  I know - it's a southern sin, but it's true.  We sat there so long after we'd paid our bills that our waitress kept coming up asking if we needed anything else, so we took that as a sign that they might need our table - it was steadily busy all morning, so we moved our party outside.

On the walk to the car, we passed 8 1/2, a deli/cafe, and Mo saw a Manhattan Special box in the window - she mentioned that they make a coffee-flavored soda and Dave stopped in his tracks.  He doesn't like iced coffee, so he interrogated Mo for a minute about the taste to make sure he'd like it before he bought one, and was finally satisfied that he may like the taste, so he went inside.  This is his reaction, after taking a sip:

Love at first sip.  I tried to get him to go back and buy a few to bring home, but he just wanted to savor the one bottle for now, and let it stew a while.  He's sensible, that one.

It's so good to see these girls!  Wish I saw them more often - although Carrie lives 10 minutes away, so I really have no excuse not to see her much more often!  We shall change that for 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful brunch. :) Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't believe you had never been there-sounds like it was a lot of fun and good times with old friends. :)

    ReplyDelete