Friday, January 18, 2013

Let's see if I can make this work!

You know I like Pinterest, right? I have successfully completed several projects inspired by Pinterest posts (like this and this and this), but have also had some fails (like the coffee bean votive combo that caught on fire). In addition to my Pinterest addiction, you can put black thumb down on my resume. Other than some lilies on the back deck, I haven't been able to grow much in my adult life. I'm working on it.

We're making an Asian dish tonight that calls for most of a bunch of green onions and I didn't want to throw the rest away, so my mind drifted to all those photos of a cute mason jar full of onion roots perched on a windowsill glowing in the sunshine!

So I grabbed a Mason jar from the cabinet and threw the bulbs in, and instead of staying vertical, they started swimming.  Size match fail.  So I grabbed a mini wine glass we used for the candy bar at Sharon and Agnes' shower, which turned out to be the perfect size for this bunch:

According to a few of the 2,643 blog posts available about this project, it should take about a week for them to grow back. The best part of this is that you can continue the process of cutting what you need and allowing them to regrow!

Wish me luck! I'm off to google recipes containing green onions... :)

Related: Check out how Bonnie handles her green onion situation :)

{EDIT} If you grow your own onions, be prepared for the strange smell that pops up as they start to sprout.  It smells (to me) like laughing gas feels - I know that sounds strange, but it's a very medical/chemical smell.  I only noticed it for a few minutes when entering the house after being away for a while, and after a few days didn't notice it at all.  But it freaked me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment