Sunday, May 2, 2010

Road trip!

Yesterday, I trekked up to Fred so we could visit a few places with vegetables and local color. 

First stop was the Farmers Market at Hurkamp Park, where our main objective was to take pictures, so we didn't purchase anything.  They had strawberries, herbs, greens, and a few stands sold local honey and honey-related products.  A little girl at one of the stands saw our cameras and asked "are you looking for anything today or just taking pictures?"  BUSTED!  :)

This park is on the outskirts of the historic district and has recently started to overcome its bad reputation.  Now they plan events there and have regular traffic to make it worth keeping it up.  This is where I'll be selling my message boards in September - at Market in the Park!

Here are my favorite shots from the market:

After we did our lap around the park, we headed out to Locust Grove to visit Miller Farms.  I've driven past this place a hundred times since it's on the way from Fred to JMU, but either never noticed that it had a market, or the market part of the farm is new.  Either way, it was so cute!  They have a greenhouse with herbs and flowers, a patch where you can pick your own strawberries, and market with freshly picked berries and asparagus, along with jams, jellies, salsa...and a gift shop with handmade items like potholders and table runners.  Cute.
 
Thanks for the invite, sign.  I would love to come sit on your porch :)

I bought some strawberries, asparagus, spices, applesauce, and this cute pantry sign.  Just in case I forget where it is in the house, I can just look for the sign! ;)

After taking a break to work on a yet-to-be-released project and a visit to Target, we were pooped, so I came home and crashed!  Fun times with the Bonnie!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment