Thursday, April 2, 2015

Zucchini Tacos

I know, I know. WHAT?

Trust me.

Farmers' Market season is my favorite season. Well, it really spans 3 of the 4 seasons, so it's more like my favorite weekend activity. St. Stephen's hosts my favorite market and if I don't have anything going on between 8am-noon on Saturdays, that's where you can find me. I have my favorite booths, ones I don't even look at because I hate their faces, and others that have great stuff but it's just not for me. I have very clever names for them like 'Goochland potato guy' and 'the one with the huge booth and lots of cilantro' and 'that other big one that's more expensive but their tomatoes always look better so let's go over there before we leave'. Love.

BUT - towards the end of its run, I get sick of zucchini and don't even want to think about eating another squash. In spite of this we keep buying them because they're good for us and we like them and we'll miss them in December. So in an attempt to find another way to use them besides grilling them with olive oil/salt/pepper (boring) I asked Bonnie, my recipe database extraordinaire, for an idea.

She delivered. She had made tacos using the zucchini instead of the taco shell. Good way to consume a vegetable that's covered in tasty goodness rather than on its own, saves some carbs, and supports local farmers. Win-win-win. So we tried it - and it was delicious!

All you do is cut the zucchini longways and scrape out the seeds and enough other guts to create a nice sized well for your taco filling of choice (I use ground turkey or beef), and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until the zucchini is fork tender.

Add your toppings (avocado and cilantro from the huge booth!) and enjoy! These are so good that I'm looking forward to making these a lot this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment