Whooo boy, these were good!
I have been watching YouTube videos instead of reading blogs lately. I'll make a separate post on some of my favorites, but OrganizedJen is right at the top of the list. She's neurotic in a good way (or at least in a way I can relate to), super organized (hence the name), and her husband is very talented in the kitchen/on the grill.
They recently posted a video showing how to make his chicken nachos and I almost didn't make it to the end of the video before I raided the pantry to see if we had everything I needed to make them. I was in luck! Here's their recipe:
I made modifications based on the fact that I wanted to eat these that night for dinner and didn't have time for a lot of those steps. Also we don't have a smoker and I don't like dark meat. They still came out delicious.
Here's how I recommend you make these - this timeline assumes dinner is served at 6pm:
- 2pm: coat 1-2 lb.s of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in 3 tbsp. of olive oil and 3 tbsp. of taco seasoning (here's how I make my taco seasoning)
- 2pm: put chicken in the oven for 2 hours at 250*
- 4pm: take the chicken out of the oven, cover it with foil, and let it rest
- 4pm: put 1 can of (drained) kidney beans and 1 can of (drained) black beans in the crock pot with a cup of stock or water; throw in another tbsp. of taco seasoning if you like spice like we do!
- 430pm: shred the chicken and throw it in the crock pot with the beans
- 530pm: preheat oven to 425* and start assembling your nachos (see gif below)
- 545pm: put nachos in the oven long enough to melt the cheese
- 6pm: EAT
An assembly gif for fun:
We topped our nachos with some sour cream, pico, and guac - make your own if you desire. I did not desire: