Here's the inspiration, from Pinterest:
Here's what you'll need, in addition to a melamine plate and bowl set:
- Carriage bolt - I got 10 inches long and 3/8 in diameter
- Washers (4) and nuts (2) to fit the size bolt you buy
- 2 feet of nylon string (not pictured)
- **make sure you have a drill bit the same size as your carriage bolt
You'll notice I bought way more washers and nuts than I needed, because:
- I didn't read the directions in detail before buying them
- There was a limited selection of 3/8 in. of both - it was either buy 10 or only 1, which wouldn't have been enough
- We planned on making 2 bird feeders
First, drill a whole through the center of the plate and bowl. This is where the fail started - I bought 2 plate/bowl sets, and the drill went through one like butter [I realize the holes aren't centered, but they're close enough for me :)]:
...but the other one was not nearly as cooperative - they're made of the same material, are the same thickness, and I used the same drill bit, but for some reason we just couldn't make it work:
Who knows - so we gave up on the pretty turquoise one.
Once you have your holes drilled, it's time to assemble it. I'm not even going to try to explain how we did it - I'll let Erin explain it, since she's the source of the project!
Here's the finished product - we had an issue with the bowl being wobbly, but it was nothing another coat of Gorilla Glue couldn't cure, and now it's solid as a rock: