Monday, December 19, 2011

Rolo Turtles

A coworker signed up for Pinterest today, and she's already adding value to the Pinternet <- see what I did there?

I was looking for a recipe that includes only ingredients I already have in my pantry since I am in the baking mood but don't feel like braving the grocery store.  First I tried Super Cook, an awesome website where you choose ingredients you have on hand and it spits out a recipe using only those ingredients.  None of the results appealed to me, though, so I tried trolling Pinterest instead.

My coworker just happened to pin a recipe during my search that included ingredients we have in our pantry - Rolo's, mini pretzels, and pecans:  Rolo Turtles!

I have pecans and mini pretzels in the pantry for 2 baking projects that I haven't made yet and probably won't until next year, or some random day in July when I'm missing the holiday season:  here and here.  The Rolo's were a birthday present from my Bonnie since she knows I love them.

I counted out 30 of each item so everything was at my fingertips - it started as just counting an even number of Rolo's and unwrapping them, but then decided having a set number of each item (30) of everything ready to go for assembly would make the whole thing easier.  I'd like to say I chose 30 as the random number because that's all the Rolo's I had, but that would be a lie.  I might have kept 1 or 2 or 9 out to snack on later.

I lined up the pretzels 6x5 on a small cookie sheet and added a Rolo on top of each one:

Bake at 350 degrees for 4-ish minutes, and when they come out of the oven, gently press a pecan onto each one to flatten the Rolo.  We're going for gently, not Rolo obliteration:

And here they are!

They're cooling now so the chocolate will harden a little - but I can't wait to have a few with a tall glass of milk :)

No comments:

Post a Comment