Saturday, December 10, 2011

Date Night in Fredericksburg!

Last night after we met baby Agnes Ann, Bonnie had to go to work so Dave and I followed her downtown to have a date night.  Rarely am I in my old hometown without anything to do or someone to meet, so I wanted to take advantage of our free evening to show Dave around my old stomping grounds.

Our first stop was Hyperion!

Dave loves coffee, and I love Hyperion in spite of my disdain for the hot, caffeinated, beany stuff.  Blech.  In high school, Hyperion was a place where my friends and I would go after football games, marching band competitions (yep, we were the supercool kids), and pretty much anytime we could.  We loved the music, the atmosphere, the long farmhouse table right next to the coffee bar because all of us could sit at one table and just hang out and talk.

The menu is bigger than I remember, but I suppose coffee trends have changed in the last 15 years.

Dave got some micro-sized coffee drink - I'm sure it has a special name like no-fat decaf soy mocha choco latte java lava frap-tini something.  Oh wait, he's saying it's called espresso macchiato.  Well that's just not as fun, is it?
Isn't that cute?

I had a Diet Coke with some hummus and pretzel chips.  Yum.  Also, Dave's a Hyperion fan now - he said whenever I want to take him there I can.  Thanks buddy!  I'll take you up on that! :)

Once we were caffeinated, we talked about where to have dinner.  I didn't want to turn lame and drive the mile outside town to Dairy Queen for dinner, although we also clocked many hours in that place in high school.  Instead I wanted to stay downtown, so we threw around some options that were within walking distance - although pretty much everything downtown was technically within walking distance :)  All within 1 block we had Capital Ale House, which we can patronize at home; Otter House, which has reviews containing roaches and food poisoning; Castiglia's, where we eat often with friends; and Kybecca.

Clear winner.

On the way up the block to Kybecca we saw the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window of the Olde Towne Butcher:
Awesome!

Kybecca is for hipsters.  The food was really good - I had shrimp and grits, and Dave got fried ravioli.  The music was even better.  I was that idiot who asked for a Diet Coke, without realizing they only serve organic drinks - no sodas.

After dinner we walked around a bit - I showed him the slave auction block; the Chinese restaurant where the guy I knew from high school, who recently got arrested for beastiality, used to deliver food part time; and we saw Santa greeting children in the Museum Store.

Good times in the 'Burg!

2 comments:

  1. We used to go to this fifties diner near my house in Austin after marching band competitions, home games, etc. it's not open anymore but I wish it was. Great memories! Marching band was the best part of high school. I loved it! We were the coolest kids even if nobody else knew. :)

    This is Kara, my iPad is being a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up!! Sounds like a nice night in FXBG! :)

    ReplyDelete