Monday, September 6, 2010

Half-fail

Today's project is to hide the contents of my pantry.  I keep serving bowls, platters, and extra dishes in there and I hate that anyone walking through the kitchen can see all of it.  Even when it's neat and organized (which is not the case in the picture below), it looks messy.

At Lowe's the other night, I picked up some Valspar glass frosting spray paint to make the doors translucent instead of clear glass.  This morning, I took the glass off the pantry doors and took them outside for their makeover.

Once I cleaned them I sprayed several coats of the spray paint on them to create the frosted look.  By several I mean 7 or 8 - I kept spraying because I wasn't get the look I wanted.  After the 3rd or 4th coat it stopped working and I sould have stopped spraying, but I was convinced I could make it look even more frosted.

I left them outside in full sun to dry for about an hour...

...and brought them inside to put them back on the pantry doors:

I'm calling it a half-fail because you can still see what's behind the doors.  But it is camouflaged enough that you can't tell what it is or how messy it is.

3 comments:

  1. Another thing to try (maybe on a smaller project) is etching solution. Maybe tape off some areas you don't want etched, like a border or something. I've wanted to do some etching on some of scotch glasses for a while, but I just haven't gotten motivated to do it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks pretty good. You can really see how it is hiding your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry the glass didn't come out like you wanted it to. Did you do both sides of the glass or just one side? Maybe if you do both sides with same amount of frost it would work?

    ReplyDelete