Saturday, November 7, 2009

4th Anniversary

For our 4th wedding anniversary, we wanted to do something cheap, relaxed, and fun. No presents, no flowers, no cards, just a good time. So we took the day off work and took a road trip to Colonial Williamsburg!

First stop on our road trip was the Brick House Diner. It's our favorite spot for breakfast because the food is awesome and it's not a chain restaurant that you can find anywhere you go!

After breakfast we headed to Williamsburg. Now I know what you're thinking: Once you've been to Williamsburg once, you've seen it, and don't need to see it again. Right? I don't feel that way - at all. I love everything about it. Sure, there's the outlet mall, the antiques, the pottery, which used to be the place to go...but my favorite part is Duke of Gloucester Street. I could go there every weekend and never get bored. Everything about it feels good to me. The cobblestone sidewalks, the colonial smell, the 17th century hustle and bustle, the volunteers walking around in costume and in character, the smoke from the cannons and muskets. Love it!



This time I decided I wanted to take some pictures that are different than what I normally do. I've been trying to learn how to use my camera. I know how to point and shoot, but didn't, until recently, know how to change the settings from 'idiot mode' to take the best picture in certain circumstances. I'm still learning, but I think I have the basics down.

I'll let you be the judge. Here are my favorite shots from the day:










By far my favorite one - Bruton Parish:




Once we were finished walking DoG Street, we went to Paul's Deli. This place is a dive, for sure, but every time we're in the Burg (well, almost every time), we eat there. It's a place that both of us had visited before we met, and when we took our first trip to Williamsburg together, we both suggested it without knowing the other had been there. So now it's a tradition, I suppose.

The food is good, but Paul's has tons of memorabilia from William and Mary, like Spanky's and Ruby Tuesday used to have. Makes you feel at home, in my opinion. I hope this place doesn't lose out to the man. You can have The Cheese Shop, but don't take my Paul's!

Here are a couple examples of the charm of this place:






Good hair day, no?


Once our bellies were full we left Colonial W'burg and headed home. But I couldn't get on 64 without visiting the outlet mall. We only went in 3 stores, and Dave spent more than I did!

Great day with great company! Here's to many more anniversaries!

1 comment:

  1. Aww cute blog posting! :) Looks like you both had a wonderful day!! YEY!! :)

    ReplyDelete