Thursday, March 12, 2015

Lentil Tacos

We're trying this whole meatless Monday thing to save some money, and I think I dig it! As long as the meal has protein to fill me up, I don't miss the meat.

One week I made lentil tacos. Mostly because I had some lentils leftover from a terrible soup I made and I wanted to use them up. I like lentils, just not in the ways I've made them before, so this recipe was sort of a make it or break it for me. You know that vacation you go on with a group of friends, and you either come back closer or you never speak to them again? That was this recipe for me and lentils - glad to said we did not go our separate ways, and we'll definitely be making this again! :)

Here's how you do it:

  • In a large pot, saute 1/2 and onion and 1 garlic clove, just for a minute or two
  • Add 1 cup-ish of lentils and 1 tbsp. of taco seasoning and stir it all together
  • Add 2 cups of broth (I used chicken broth because I had it in the pantry, but use what you like)
  • Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 20-30 minutes
    • Keep checking on it and stirring every 5 minutes or so - I ended up adding another 2 cups of broth because the lentils seemed very dry
  • When the lentils are soft (the consistency was like refried beans), add 1 cup of salsa and stir

That's it. How easy is that? We served these in soft tortillas with typical taco toppings, and some Spanish rice on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment