Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cookbook Challenge: Week 9

From the Williams Sonoma Comfort Foods cookbook, we made Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce.

This recipe looked haaaaard, so we cheated a bit. Well, that's not entirely why we cheated - Martin's (at least the Stony Point one) doesn't carry tomatillos, so I bought pre-made sauce. Does that make me a horrible person? No.

I cooked the chicken in my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker while sauteeing some onions. When both were done I diced and combined them into 1 bowl. In another bowl was the tomatillo sauce.

To assemble the enchiladas:

  • Dave spread a thin layer of tomatillo sauce on the tortilla, followed by a thin layer of pepper jack cheese
  • I added a heaping spoonful of chicken and onions to half the tortilla, added a swirl of Sriracha, and rolled it up
  • As I rolled some chicken and onions spread toward the empty side
  • Once they were fully rolled I put them, seam side down, into a 9x13 casserole dish
  • Repeat 5 times to get 6 enchiladas...
Once we had all the kids in the casserole dish, I poured the extra chicken and onion mixture on top just so we wouldn't waste any, and then poured the rest of the tomatillo sauce evenly on top. Lastly, we covered the whole thing with mozzarella cheese and threw it in the oven for ~15 minutes, just to melt the cheese and make sure everything was nice and hot.

Once the cheese was gooey and golden brown on the edges, we scooped out 2 enchiladas each and topped with sour cream.

I want to eat this for every meal for the rest of my life! That's not possible, but it sure does sound nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment