Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Via Colori

I'm a little behind on sharing our adventures because whenever my nose isn't in a texbook I feel guilty that it isn't and don't allow myself to anything that would make me feel guiltier.  Does that make sense?  It does to me.

Anyway, over a month ago (lol) I went to Fredericksburg to participate in Via Colori - city blocks are closed and plots mapped for individuals/teams to create art from chalk.  It's a treat to help create and observe others creating these one of a kind works of art before they're washed away!  Bonnie's company was a sponsor of the event and they reserved a 10x10 spot for their own chalk drawing.

Here's the design they came up with - The Evolution of Music:

Surrounded by bands that have shaped the music industry over the years, we see the evolution of man as well, from a creature on all fours carrying an LP, upgrading to bi-pedal status with an 8-track, cassette tape, and CD; then emerging as homo sapien with an iPod.  Quite a few years and types of media included here! :)

Since the team had worked on the plot al day Saturday, we took over where they left off.  They made a ton of progress, so we needed to fill in the primates and complete the bottom of the surrounding design.  SInce I am no artist, I stuck to the basic black forms that had already been outlined for me.  I got more brave as the day went on, but I didn't want to mess anything up.

Bonnie and Ashley were very careful and wore gloves to protect their hands and clothes from the chalk.  I threw caution to the wind, dug in, and this is what happened:

Black chalk is not my friend!  I was sitting/laying on a piece of cardboard while filling in the designs, but still managed to get black chalk all over my shirt, arms, and hands!  I used my gloves for filling in the color (they were great for spreading the color to make it consistent) rather than keeping me clean, and this was the price I paid.

Here's the finished masterpiece!

The only other contribution I made was the treble clef and eighth notes at the bottom center (Ashley did the ones on the right).  The boombox and headphones (by Bonnie and Erin) are AWESOME!

After we had cleaned up our area, I walked around and took some photos of other drawings - some of these were amazing!  Lots of local artists came out - some who are paid for their talents and others who are just realllly good at their hobby!  Here are some of my favorites:




UMW!

They even had a small parking lot blocked off for children to get in on the chalk action:

This was so much fun and I hope to participate again next year! :)

1 comment: