Sunday, April 1, 2012

License, registration, and coupons please.

The other day I was trolling Pinterest <-surprise, surprise, and I came across this pin:


I've had a bulky, boyish trifold organizer in my glove compartment for a while now, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I got pulled over a few weeks ago and struggled to get my registration and insurance card out of the stupid pockets:

It looks functional, but the inside of each pocket is a cheaper vinyl fabric that gets sticky in the heat,  so the documents stick to it and I almost ripped them both when pulling them out to hand to the cop.  That would have been embarrassing :)

So the accordion file pin caught my eye!  It's cheap, easy, and a great way to keep everything organized and at your fingertips when you're stressed out and being stared down by a police officer.  Haha.

I picked up a black file from the Dollar Spot at Target for, you guessed it, $1!  I decided what documents I would store in there (why would she keep her sale paperwork, which contains her SSN, address, and DOB in her glove box?) and used the same method from this S&TC2 invite project to make a legend for my file, with the numbers corresponding to a tab in the file:

In the tool section, I fit a flashlight, pen, and tire gauge.  They fit and don't even make it bulky!  Score!  The whole thing is about 1.5 inches wide at the bottom even with those tools.

Easy Peasy.  Next victim was my coupon organizer:

I got this beauty at Target as well, and have been using it for a few months.  I wanted to use it for a while before making any changes to it so I knew which categories I needed.  I didn't want to make a slot for frequent shopper cards if I felt like it was better to keep them somewhere else.  

Here's where I landed:

I love this binder because it came with a notepad!  I can write down what coupons I have, and note the expiration dates so nothing hides in there and goes to waste!  NERD.

So those were two little projects for today.  What to organize next?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kristen. Just had a chance to check out your blog. I am totally envious of your organization skills. Seriously, my heart skipped a beat looking at the car organizer, but the coupon organizer is more awesome and exactly what I need. I'm embarrassed to say I have a ziploc bag stuffed with coupons in my purse. It's downright junky but I hadn't put any thought into a solution. Thanks for the idea. Off to Target I go. - Angela from class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angela! That binder combines my 2 favorite things - making lists and saving money ;) Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete