Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chex Mix

Every fall my mom used to make homemade Chex Mix. The smell of it cooking filled the house and we all waited for our treat! It's a little sweet, a little salty, and a LOT yummy!

I've never tried to make it before [unless I tried and failed years ago, like applesauce, and my selective memory is kicking in :)] Last week as I was cleaning out our kitchen buffet to make room for our new table I found an Amish cookbook. I was sorting through the book deciding which recipes to throw out and which to keep and found a recipe for Scramble. WTF is Scramble? As I read through the ingredients it was starting to sound all too familiar! Sounded exactly like my mom's Chex Mix - so I called her to read her the recipe and see how it compared to hers.

After making some small changes based after a failed attempt (burned it!), here's the recipe:

2 cups each:
Rice Chex
Corn Chex
Wheat Chex
Honey Nut Chex
Unsalted or lightly salted peanuts
Pretzel rods

1/2 cup each:
Butter
Worcestershire sauce

I combined all the dry ingredients and threw them into my turkey roasting pan. There's no reason to Pam it since you'll add the wet ingredients before putting it in the oven.

I melted the butter, stirred it with the W sauce, and poured that mixture over the dry mix. Bake it at 250 degrees, stirring every 15-20 minutes to make sure the bottom pieces don't burn.

It should be evenly coated and crispy within 90 minutes...here's what you end up with:

1 comment: