Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Buying new glasses is just like this scene from "The Jerk"...

My trip to the eye doctor today reminded me of a scene from "The Jerk." Here's why...

I broke my glasses a few weeks ago. I guess all the nights I fell asleep with them on weakened the right earpiece and one day when i pushed on it to adjust them, it just snapped off. So Dave MacGyver'ed them with a wooden BBQ skewer and some duck tape. Here's a pic:


My eye doctor, who I've been seeing since I was 4, is in Fredericksburg and always booked for weeks in advance. So I cheated on him by visiting the optometrist at Pearle Vision...I know, I know.

Anyways, after I got my eye exam and prescription, I went next door to the sales place, and showed my insurance card. The lady looked up my plan and showed me the section that I could choose from. The section was approximately 4 rows of 8 pairs of glasses each. WTF?

I came home and realized it reminded me of the guy who won the weight guessing game in "The Jerk" and asked what his prize was...he was disappointed at the selection he could choose from.

Watch me: http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Jerk&quote=weight.txt&file=weight.wav

Navin: "For one dollar I'll guess you weight, your height, or your sex. The most exciting thing on the midway. Imagine the thrill of getting your weight guessed by a professional. You can blow up your cheeks, you can stick out your chest, but you're not going to fool the guesser. How about you sir? Step right up!"
Carnival Rube: "Hey honey, let's see how good this guy is. What'd I win?"
Navin: "Uh, anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo and on this side of the bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimble. Anything in this three inches right in here in this area. That includes the Chiclets, but not the erasers."

I found a pair that looks pretty similar to my current pair, so I think it will all work out. There are worse things that could happen, after all...

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry I won't tell Dr. Kossol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got 'seventeen' brand glasses....maybe they'll make me feel 17 again! :)

    ReplyDelete