Saturday, July 3, 2010

Beach house chic

The last room in our house that has not be decorated or cared for since we moved in is our master bathroom.  It's an odd space - it's very big for a bathroom, so it poses some challenges, but is very convenient when both Dave and I need to get ready for our days at the same time.  We have 2 sinks and plenty of floor space to move around each other without running over each other. 

The challenges are minor, but cause a design dilemma for me.  I'm not sure how I feel about furniture in a bathroom, but if we go for the clean, sparse, uncluttered look, there's so much dead space that it makes the room look even bigger.  But since it has a full size linen closet, adding furniture to display towels or store bath items is useless because we don't need that much storage space.  Also, because it's so big, we have 3 different bathmats, and it chops up the floor, but an area rug would be weird in a bathroom, right?  Lastly, the shower is very deep, so moisture gets trapped in the little alcove and the paint is peeling around it towards the ceiling.  We'd like to tile that section to prevent gross peely paint and pesky mold.

Oh, what a problem to have, right?  I realize this is all trivial with 2 concurrent wars in the Middle East and a Gulf full of oil during hurricane season, but this is what's going on in my little corner of the world. 

Anyways - my inspiration for the room is 'beach house chic.'  I must have seen that term on a blog somewhere, and I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it sounds like me and what I'd like to see every morning when I'm trying to make myself presentable to be seen by the world.  Here's what I'm not talking about:

This is more like what I want, but with less q-tips:

I'm having some trouble finding inspiration, but my first thoughts are mason jars full of shells, Valspar's Homestead Resort Spa Aqua or something similar on the walls, bright white shower curtain, light baskets and some silver accents.  Making an inspiration board this weekend to get my creative juices flowing :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the beach house chic theme. I'm picturing lots of light blues, sea foam, coral colors. A jar of shells, drift wood, shark teeth, fossils, sea glass, sponges, and sands that you collect yourself from beach trips. It won't take forever to fill. Just look at my jar in my bathroom. You could also take some beachy photos and put them up. I think it will be really cute and will remind you of the beach trips you both go on. :)

    ReplyDelete